CALL FOR PAPERS
IPSA RC10 and RC22 supported workshop:
“Journalism and Artificial Intelligence”
Interuniversity Centre Dubrovnik, Dubrovnik, Croatia, Sept 28th– Sept 29th2020
25thAnnual International Conference on Information Technology and Journalism: “Internet in the Era of Disinformation”
Interuniversity Centre Dubrovnik, Dubrovnik, Croatia, Sept 30th – Oct 2nd 2020
The workshop is organized in Dubrovnik from Sept 28th– Sept 29th2020, as a part of the The 25thAnnual International Conference on Information Technology and Journalism: “Internet in the Era of Disinformation”.
The workshop focuses on the relationship between journalism and Artificial Intelligence, as well as the impact AI generated content and AI controlled bots can have on public discourse and the shaping of public opinion. We especially welcome papers addressing the following questions and topics:
- The Rise of Data Driven Communication accelerates ever-changing Media Environment
- Strategic communications and Open data (social media theories, analytics, sources, tools and techniques)
- “Social editors” as origins of (dis)information on social media
- Media, social media and artificial Intelligence
- Artificially generated content: a threat to democracies?
- Algorithms, bots and artificial Intelligencein steering online communication
- Reconstructing privacy with Big data: Big Brother on steroids
- Microtargeting and personalization of content in journalism and political communication
- Ethical challenges and Regulatory framework
- The ways AI is transforming the media industry
- The impact of AI on communication and collaboration
- When AI and Communication meet: a love story?
We are also welcoming submissions for the Conference which address the following topics:
- e-democracy vs e-manipulation
- Internet and hybrid war
- Information, disinformation, misinformation…
- Virtual deconstruction of liberal democracy
- Trust and mistrust
- Attention economy and wireless journalism
- Media profession and ethic
- Like or hate in the bubble
- Information ecology
Abstracts should not be longer than 500 words and should include:
- Author and Affiliation
- Core theoretical premise of the paper
- Methodology and relevant information on data collection and analysis
- Key findings or questions that analysis will address in an ongoing or future research
Abstract deadline: June 15th2020.
Notification of acceptance sent out July 6th2020.
Send your proposal to: email@example.com
Registration and Conference Fees:
All participants (presenters and non-presenters) must register to be able to attend the conference.
Paper presenters and co-authors: 120 Euros
Students and non-presenters: 70 Euros
SPECIAL JOURNAL ISSUE
A number of selected full papers will be submitted for publication in special issue in indexed journal Media Studies. All conference papers will be eligible for this issue. The selection will be based on peer reviews and it will be carried out by the special issue Guest Editor Dr. Domagoj Bebić in collaboration with the journal’s Editor-in-Chief.
Medijske studije (Media Studies) is an interdisciplinary journal published by the Faculty of Political Science of the University of Zagreb. Articles published in Media Studies are indexed in: Emerging Sources Citation Index of the Web of Science Database and Social Science Premium Collection and are available in the open access data bases: Hrčak – The Portal of Scientific Journals of Croatia, DOAJ – the Directory of Open Access Journals and CEEOL – Central and Eastern European Online Library.
Our workshop is supported by IPSA RC10 and RC22 and organized by the Faculty of Political Science, University of Zagreb (http://fpzg.hr/) and InMed Institute (https://www.edemokracija.hr/) .
Annual International Conference on Information Technology and Journalism (ITJ) conference has been organized for 25 years now. The joint RC10/RC22 workshop was first launched in 2010 and has been organized as part of the conference since then.
Conference venue: Inter-University Centre Dubrovnik, Dubrovnik, Croatia (http://iuc.hr/)
Inter-University Centre Dubrovnik is an independent international institution for advanced studies structured as a consortium of universities with a mission to organize and promote contact and exchange through projects, study programs, courses and conferences across a wide range of scientific concerns. Program directors and resource persons coming from about 170 member universities worldwide cooperate in organizing the activities. IUC is open to new member institutions as well as to new programs.
Members of the organizing committee of the workshop are:
Domagoj Bebić (IPSA RC Liaison Representative; Faculty of Political Science, University of Zagreb)
Mato Brautović (Department of Communication Science, University of Dubrovnik)
Óscar G. Luengo (Facultad de Ciencias Politicas y Sociologia, Universidad de Granada)
Marijana Grbeša Zenzerović (Faculty of political Science, University of Zagreb)
Božo Skoko (Faculty of Political Science, University of Zagreb)
Milica Vučković (Faculty of Political Science, University of Zagreb)
- Abstract deadline: June 15th, 2020.
- Full paper: September 1st, 2020.
- Full paper of selected papers for publication in Media Studies, special issue: October 15th, 2020.
If you have any questions about the conference please contact the organizing committee at: firstname.lastname@example.org.